[Sca-cooks] Onions....

Randy Goldberg MD goldbergr1 at cox.net
Fri Oct 17 08:00:42 PDT 2003

> Okay, so I'm going to make that goat-cheese tart this weekend.  How do I
> caramelize the onions? It sounds a little different from just sautéing
> them--I'm assuming some sort of heat treatment/cooking method that
> brings out the natural sugars?

Not at all... it's just a LONG, SLOW saute, until the onions turn deep
mahogany brown - you should allow a good hour plus at low temps to achieve
this. Alton Brown, in his recipe for French Onion Soup (which requires the
same caramelization process), recommends using an electric skillet at 300F,
starting with melted butter, then layering in onions and salt. Sweat 15-20
minutes until the onions collapse, then stir occasionally for 45-60 minutes
until they reach the necessary color.

Avraham

Reb Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: I wish life had scroll back - with cut and paste.

---