[Sca-cooks] Books as gifts

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Oct 20 07:02:59 PDT 2003

My brief response to this is that I prepare booklists with the
person/cook/reader in mind, taking into account their specific areas of
interest. It helps to be a librarian; this is something that we grew up
doing or so it seems. If the person wants late period sixteenth century
English only, then recommending the work in Italian on the 14th century
is not perhaps the best use of time or resources. Likewise someone may
want to concentrate only on Mid-Eastern or Spanish or Nordic. If they
want general medieval cookery suitable for novices, that's one list. For
more advanced students or cooks, reference sources and facsimile volumes
with little or no commentary may be the volumes to recommend. It's a
question of interests and level of abilities and the size of the
pocketbook. Volumes can range in cost from a few bucks for a used copy
to several hundred for rarer editions. Collections can range in size
from one to two volumes to some like mine where the working collection
alone that is out and available is well over a thousand volumes and the
total collection is over 10,000 volumes.

So the question comes back to the reader? What area are you most
interested in and how much do you want to spend? You can contact me
off-list for suggestions.

I'll have a new version of The Book in Hand (Book Collection in the SCA)
ready within the month. Also a new listing for Mediaevalist Favorites
Through the Years which will look at the growth and titles of historical
cookbooks over the past 50 years. Both sessions will be given at RUM on
November 22 http://www.midrealm.org/rum/fall38/history.html

Johnnae llyn Lewis