[Sca-cooks] OT: need computer help -- typing parallel columns

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Mon Oct 20 10:56:28 PDT 2003

Tara Sersen Boroson wrote:
> Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:
>
> >I think I mentioned recently that I've started a new
> >translation project.  I want to have the Spanish text and
> >the translation in parallel columns.  This will be better
> >for future readers, and it makes it a lot easier for me to
> >
> >Right now, I'm working with Word 97, which only allows
> >newspaper columns. I've been inserting column breaks to
> >make it work, but I can see that deleting or add a few
> >words could cause a lot of problems.  Any suggestions?
>
> Brighid, have you tried using a table to format your columns?
> You can make a two-column table with invisible borders.  You
> could make each line of the text a seperate row of table
> cells, or do the entire text in a single table row with
> normal line breaks.

An even better way is to use a table row for each paragraph
(and also chapter titles and/or sub headings).

As an initial setup, create an empty table: 2 rows by 2 columns.

Select the entire table (Table -> Select Table), then
(Format -> Paragraph -> Spacing Before 6pt and Spacing After 6pt)
This gives 1 blank line between paragraphs.

While the entire table is still selected:
(Table -> Cell Height and Width)
then UNclick "Allow row to break across pages" then click OK
This keeps (when possible) entire paragraphs on a page.

Type the Column headings into the first row e.g. the original
document title and the translated document title.
Select the row (Table -> Select Rows) then identify the heading
(Table -> Headings)

While entering text, use Tab to go from cell to cell ... this will
also open up a new table row as you go along.  You won't need to
use line breaks (AKA Enter) between paragraphs.  If you do use
line breaks, you will see a blank line.

You probably want to avoid any of these ... automatic numbering,
indents, bullets, ...

> -Magdalena
>
> >Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann
> >Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
> >rcmann4 at earthlink.net

Vincenzo

--