[Sca-cooks] juniper berries in period recipes?

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 20 12:34:14 PDT 2003

So what *are* some period recipes that use juniper berries? I bought
some of these from the Pepperer's Guild, but haven't found a use for
them yet.

Stefan

	Well, I can't vouch for how period it is, this isn't a source I'm familiar
with.  This recipe was prepared many years ago at a one-time event we had
called "Cook's List".  I remember it because I procured the juniper berries
(a 2-pound bag of them that had been ordered by mistake and sat on the
walk-in shelf for months because no one at the hotel knew what to do with
them... so I took them to a home where cooks would appreciate them... ;).
Christianna

	From: "To the Chronicler's Taste - A recipe book from Cook's List I, 24-26
August, AS XIX"
	This dish was prepared by Lady Bradamante la Morgaine, and won the
"Tastiest" dish prize.
	Source:
	Johnston, Mireille.  "The Cuisine of the Rose: Classical French Cooking
from Burgundy and 					Lyonnaise." Random Houe 1982

	Saupiquet
	(Ham with vinegar and cream sauce)

	1 7 lb. uncooked ham
	coarse salt
	freshly ground pepper
	3 garlic cloves, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slivers
	3 bay leaves
	2 tbsp. thyme
	1 tsp. sage
	1 tsp. savory
	salt
	1 1/2 cups wine vinegar
	10 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
	5 juniper berries
	3 cups light cream
	tarragon, finely chopped
	watercress

	Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
	Remove the skin, the top part of the bone and part of the fat from the ham
and rub with 	coarse salt. Let the ham sit for 2 hours.  Dry it with a clean
cloth and rub it with 	pepper.  Insert the garlic slivers with a knife all
oer the ham.
	Crush together the bay leaves, thyme, sage, and savory and sprinkle the
mixture all over
	the ham, pressing to make it stick; sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place
the ham in a
	deep baking dish and bake, uncovered, in the oven for 2 to 3 hours.  Then
cover with foil
	and cook for 1 1/2 hours more.
	During the last half hour, prepare the sauce.  Heat the vinegar and add the
shallots and
	juniper berries.  Boil for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone.
Stir in the
	cream and check the seasoning.
	Remove the ham from the oven and slice it.  Put the slices of ham on a warm
serving dish
	and spoon the sauce over them.  Sprinkle with tarragon and serve surrounded
by watercress.