[Sca-cooks] Aphrodisiac foods

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 21 21:19:52 PDT 2003

Patrick Levesque wrote:

> Do we have any info, or are there published resources, on what types of food
> were considered aphrodisiacs in period?
>
> Petru

Generally nourishing foods, animals thought to be...er...prolific, or foods that
resembled genetalia had aphrodisiac properties associated with them. A look
through Platina, where each foodstuff is analysed from a humoral/health
perspective could yield some useful results.  I won't check right now cause it's
past my bedtime! I can follow up tommorow unless one of the super talented and
resourceful members of this list beats me to it.   I recently did a quick
internet source and found these (not necessarily all documentable in period, but
hey, it's a place to start):

beavers, oysters, carrots, cucumbers, snakes, bulls, rabbits, spanish fly, chick
peas, aniseed, asparagus, almond, basil, corriander, figs, garlic, ginger,
honey, liquorice, mustard, nutmeg, pine nuts, strawberries, truffles (I remember
this one specifically mentioned in Platina), sparrows (which were sacred to
Athena due to their amorous nature)

Sounds kinda like the Tasmanian Devil's menu....and especially rabbits!

Faerisa