[Sca-cooks] OT: need computer help -- typing parallel columns

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Tue Oct 21 11:26:31 PDT 2003

"Martin G. Diehl" wrote:

> Tara Sersen Boroson wrote:
> > Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:
> >
> > >I think I mentioned recently that I've started a new
> > >translation project.  I want to have the Spanish text and
> > >the translation in parallel columns.

[snip]

> > >Right now, I'm working with Word 97, which only allows
> > >newspaper columns.

[snip]

> An even better way is to use a table row for each paragraph
> (and also chapter titles and/or sub headings).

[snip]

> > -Magdalena
> >
> > >Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann
> > >Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
> > >rcmann4 at earthlink.net
>
> Vincenzo
>
> --
> Martin G. Diehl

On Tue Oct 21 01:07:19 CDT 2003, Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at
austin.rr.com added these words to the discussion ...

> I've got real mixed feelings about this. While the double column
> sounds good and probably works well in print publication, I'm not
> sure how well it will work when published electronically.

It will work just fine.

> Yes, I have an interest and a bias in this. :-)
>
> I supply the documents in the Florilegium in three formats, text,
> RTF and HTML. The double columns will work in the second format
> just fine. They may work in HTML,

Nay ... the double column format *will* work just fine in HTML as
long as there are _no_ CR/LF within the table cells.

> if the user doesn't try to reduce the screen width to narrower
> than the size of the two columns plus the spacing originally picked.

Answered by my comment, above.

Vincenzo,
In Service

--