Garlic Challenge was Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Home From Great Western War

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 23 11:42:38 PDT 2003

Phlip wrote:

>Hey, Selene-
>
>One of the things that intrigued me earlier in this thread was your mention
>of the garlic challenge. Any change you might be able to share some
>information about that one?
>
>Saint Phlip,
>CoDoLDS, garlicaholic extraudinaire...

Me too!  In Caid, the Queen's special event is called The Festival Of
The Rose.  Someday when I'm Queen, you know it will be a Festival of the
Stinking Rose!

Was about a year ago, at Caid Sciences Day, when I challenged Baron
Jamal Damien Marcus, a cooking Laurel and lost, but not by much,
pointwise.  OK he won but he didn't whup my hiney!  Aeduin and
then-new-fiancee Mary Taran were my helper-heroes this time. We did
bagna cauda, garlic-stuffed chicken, "moretum" garlic cheese based on a
poem from Virgil [how's that for documentation!], a dish of roasted
chickpeas and garlic and with some extra time at the end, whipped up a
figs in garlic-scented syrup that was actually pretty nice.  Our "food
pro" judge had some really helpful notes for me afterwards;  this time
it was Baron Morgan ap Llewellyn, Pel-Laurel, woodworker and foodie.

At the same event, one of the blacksmiths came over to borrow a cup of
vinegar.  We send him lovely apple cider vinegar that a nice orchard man
sells at the local farmers market.  Not every bottled vinegar is nice
enough to drink straight, but this is.  It etched the pattern-forged
blade very nicely, which proves that an acid does not have to be
intensely strong to be effective.

Selene, Iron Chef Altavia Emeritus