[Sca-cooks] Got OED?

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Fri Oct 24 22:03:01 PDT 2003

Abstersive:    (No Abstertive in OED)  A. adj. Having the quality of
purging, cleansing, scouring, or washing away impurities.

  1533 ELYOT Castel of Helth (1541) 27 White betes are also abstersive, and
lowseth the bealye. 1603 HOLLAND Plutarch's Morals 656 These almonds have an
abstersive propertie to bite, to clense and scoure the flesh. a1680 BUTLER
Rem. (1759) I. 111 Has an abstersive Virtue to make clean Whatever Nature
made in Man obscene. 1725 POPE Odyss. xx. 189 And let th' abstersive sponge
the board renew. 1845 FORD Hdbk. Spain 124 Aqua bendita which the devil is
said to hate even worse than monks did the common abstersive fluid.

    B. n. [sc. medicine or agent.] Also fig.

  1563 T. GALE Antid. I. iii. 3 Such medicines as do mundifie, and clense
wounds or filthy vlcers, are called abstersiues. 1645 MILTON Tetrach. (1851)
159 The lowest lees of a canonicall infection livergrown to their sides,
which perhaps will never uncling, without the strong abstersive of som
heroick magistrat. 1702 PETTY in Sprat Hist. R. Soc. 295 Abstersives are
Fuller's earth, Soap, Linseed-oyl, and Oxgall. 1727 SWIFT Gulliver III. vi.
216 Administer to each of them..abstersives.

Regina

Behalf Of Robin Carroll-Mann
> Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 9:26 PM
> To: Cooks within the SCA