[Sca-cooks] Question regarding canisiones...

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Oct 27 10:06:14 PST 2003

> Through a long and complicated set of circumstances, I find myself looking
> for a recipe that looks vaguely log-like for the dessert course of an
> illusion feast.  The feast itself (our Barony's Midwinter) is mid-16th
> century French, and I hit upon Duke Cariadoc's redaction of "the pastry that
> they call canisiones" from Platina as being reasonably appropriate.
> However, the desserts are already going to feature quite a bit of marzipan,
> so I was wondering:  Would it be appropriate to use anything else besides
> rosewater and almonds as the flavoring?  Is anyone aware of a similar
> recipe, maybe in Martino or Epulario, with a different filling?

Can't give you advice on that one, but isn't there a recipe for date logs
(I mean, chopped dates processed into long log-like objects) in the
corpus? I think it may be reproduced in Take 1000 Eggs?

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians
are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides." --James Quinn