[Sca-cooks] Earliest Viking area post-Viking cookbooks

Mon Oct 27 11:08:23 PST 2003

The cookbooks you list are essential the same text and appear to be derived
from earlier Latin or French texts which were translated into German and
from there into Danish.  The recipes are not Scandinavian and probably do
not accurately reflect Scandinavian cooking.

Codex K, which is the earlier of the manuscripts, is usually dated 1300.
The translation to Danish is usually attributed to Henrik Harpestraeng, the
royal physician, who died in 1244.  Codex K was the primary source for the
Kristensen translatation.

Codex Q is a second Danish translation dating from 1350.

A German version of this recipe collection can be found in the
Mittleniederdeutsches Kochbuch (15th Century).

The first true Scandinavian cookbook is the Danish Kogebog from 1616.

Bear