[Sca-cooks] Question regarding canisiones...

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Oct 28 08:59:40 PST 2003

Gytha asked:

>Through a long and complicated set of circumstances, I find myself
>looking for a recipe that looks vaguely log-like for the dessert
>course of an illusion feast.  The feast itself (our Barony's
>Midwinter) is mid-16th century French, and I hit upon Duke
>Cariadoc's redaction of "the pastry that they call canisiones" from
>Platina as being reasonably appropriate.  However, the desserts are
>already going to feature quite a bit of marzipan, so I was
>wondering:  Would it be appropriate to use anything else besides
>rosewater and almonds as the flavoring?  Is anyone aware of a
>similar recipe, maybe in Martino or Epulario, with a different
>filling?

The closest recipe I know is Islamic (khsukananaj), but it also has
an almond/sugar/rosewater filling, so that doesn't help. I don't know
anything similar with a different filling, but I don't know the
Ialian and Spanish sources very well; I would also look in the
Spanish sources, since they sometimes have overlapping recipes with
the Iralian.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook