[Sca-cooks] Citron

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Oct 28 13:23:13 PST 2003

>Anahita asked:
>>>>>>>
>OK, OK, i finally gave in and bought a Cthulhoid "Hand of Buddha"
>citron at the Berkeley Bowl yesterday. They smell so absolutely
>wonderful and look so positively Lovecraftian, i could no longer
>resist...
>
>So, besides citron preserves made with sugar, what other
>possibilities are there?
><<<<<<<
>
>Well doing a search on the Florilegium finds several possibilities.

I'm not sure how similar the "Hand of Buddha" citron is to the citron
being described in the period recipes; I think it's a different
species, although I'm not sure.

You can still get etrog citron trees--I have one, although it hasn't
done very well. The fruit is used in one of the Jewish holidays. I
suspect that's closer.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/