[Sca-cooks] Citron

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Oct 31 11:20:16 PST 2003

Millham notes that with regard to the ancient sources that the fruit was
the citron. With regard to what Platina is calling for, she notes on
page 145 that he means probably the contemporary Italian fruit and that
was the lemon.

On pages 284-286 of Millham, the pork recipe (book vi, 28) calls for
"citri vel" and she says orange or lemon juice. The thrush recipe (book
vi 29) calls for citra vel and again she says squeeze lemons or oranges.
The recipe for partridges (book vi, 33) calls for "Succus citri aut
malarantii" and she notes that in this case on page 287 that Platina
apparently left out Martino's instructions that one might use also
verjuice as an alternative to the orange and lemon that were suggested
in the recipe.

Millham's notes actually make sense when one looks at Martino and in
checking versions of Martino, (I am using Benporat here because the
indexing makes it easy) the Rub #23[the pork]says "sugo de naranze o de
limoni" p. 173. On that same page one finds that the Rub #24 [the
thrush] calls for "sugo de pome ranze o limoni." The partridges which
was book vi, recipe 33 in Platina are found here as Rub 28 on page 174
where the phrase reads: "e uno pocho de pome ranze o limoni o de agresto".

The Vat # 28 version [the pork] on page 96 says "di aceto sugo daranci
ho limoni" on page 96. The Vat # 29 version [the thrush] on page 97 says
"di aceto sugo di arancio ho di limoni." The partridges which was book
vi, recipe 33 in Platina in the Vat mss are recipe 33 on page 97. What
is called for here is: "e un pocho di sucho di pome aranci ho di limoni
ho di agresto..."

So yes Martino does call for orange or lemon or even verjuice as Millham
says.

Benporat, Claudio. Cucina Italiana del Quattrocento (1996) contains
among other things the "Ricettatario di Maestro Martino Ms. Urbinate
Latino 1203" here cited as the Vat. version and also the "Ricetario di
Maestro Martino, Riva del Garda, Archivio Storico here given as Rub.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae llyn Lewis