[Sca-cooks] Brass & Copper Pitchers

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Sep 2 15:36:30 PDT 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Ooh!! Goody goody of an idea! My husband though is going to have to
chastise
> you for giving me an excuse for buying something else! *grin* *runs off
> happily, then remembers the paint and pouts* *sigh* Now to figure out that
> part.

Well, since you're SURE it's paint, and since you're now going to be using
it for handwashing, the best paintremover I'm aware of, bar none, is brake
fluid. Slather it on, let it sit fot a while- couple hours? depends on the
weather, then take a plastic scrubble and remove it. Depending on how many
coats it has, and how deep into various cracks and crevices it it, you
should only need to do it once or twice.

As far as using it thereafter, a thorough washing with detergent and hot
water will clean off all of the brake fluid. Polishing it with your usual
copper cleaner will make it look all shiny and new.

As far as using it for potables, if the interior is just copper, you can use
it with water or other neutral fluids, but it DOES have a metallic taste
which becomes particularly pronounced with acidic liquids. If it has brass
on the inside, don't even bother to try to taste it- it will be just flat
nasty tasting.

Personally, I'd use it as I believe Jadwiga suggested, for handwashing. I
have a large copper pot I collected and am fixing as part of our SPCA soup
pots  (32" diameter) that I intend to use in camp for heating  hot water for
dishes- this type of pot was originally used for applebutter because the
ionization of the copper has beneficial effects on it, but I'm not intending
to use it for anything we will actually consume because of the taste
factor..

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,