Fw: [Sca-cooks] Mongol Feast Questions

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Sep 4 23:12:35 PDT 2003

As I mentioned, I asked Paul Buell about Mongolian vegetarian dishes, and
camel dishes.

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Mongol recipes did not include a lot of vegetarian ones. Mostly, they
simply
> did not have the vegetables available in Mongolia. Sorry, not part of the
> tradition.
>
> No more information about how the Mongols cooked camel meat, alas.
>
> Hope this helps. Paul

We discussed it for a while late last night, and he said that Mongols just
didn't eat many vegetables or grains- they didn't have them, unless they
ransacked some town or another- and even then, they didn't eat much.

It wasn't until late into their period that wines were drunk- kumiss was the
preferred beverage.

As far as camel, he's unaware of any recipes in the areas he's been
studying, but he will ask around. In the meantime, I think I'll ask Gene
Anderson- he has other areas of interest, and might have some ideas.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.