[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 4, Issue 27

UrthMomma at aol.com UrthMomma at aol.com
Sun Sep 7 19:24:46 PDT 2003

Angelica is lovage ??  I don't know what folk names the author was accustomed
to, but angelica is not lovage. Lovage is good to use where celery is called
for, especially in stews where it can cook properly as fresh lovage, even
finely chopped can be rather coarse in texture, as in it feels like you are
chewing on maple or oak leaves.

Yea, angelica does somewhat resemble lovage in the garden as it  also grows
tall and has hollow stems also and "cut" foilage if I recall from also killing
it about five years ago, but culinary uses the same as lovage ??  Certainly
not in the other modes of herb usage that I know of.  Bees probably love the
flowers of both - "lovage is an apiaceous herb", but bees love the flowers of
most herbs.

Olwen Bucklond
plant killer extraordinarie