[Sca-cooks] Re: OT: Kitchen appliances and

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 15:12:33 PDT 2003

> I am getting married next year and am getting ready
> to do the bridal registry
> thing.
>
> I am wondering what tools and toys people like the
> best in their kitchen and
> why.  Have you tried a particular tool only to
> prefer a different brand.
>
> I have a good collection of tools but could always
> use more.  I am set for
> knives.  I have little or no small appliances.
>
> Marina

I am a big fan of Kitchenaid, I currently own:
Kitchenaid stand mixer (Artisan style) with the
following attachments:
food strainer
sausage stuffer
grinder
juicer
When I cooked my last feast I think I used this for
about 8 hrs straight at a time with no problem.  It is
a great work horse and I wouldn't give it up for
anything.
Kitchenaid food processer - fantastic for grinding
nuts, chopping onions, slicing anything, totally
useful and invaluable, also used a whole bunch last
time I cooked a feast.
Kitchenaid bar blender - huge amounts of power, easy
to clean, will grind ice without any liquids,
fantastic for pureeing anything, great for almond
milk.
Kitchenaid hand mixer - easy clean buttons, great for
those little jobs when you don't want to use the big
mixer, or want to whip something on the stove.
Baking stone for pizzas
Baking cloche for bread (also can be used in a
campfire to bake bread).
Any and all cast iron cookware, especially a good cast
iron griddle for breakfasts.
A decent set of kitchen knives, by this I mean the
really good chefs knives set from Wusthof or
equivalent, make sure they are full tang and serrated
edges should be reserved for tomatoes.
And to go with the knives a steal and learning how to
steal your knives.
Good set of pans, personally the ones I don't have but
I would put on any wedding list would be Calphalon
hard anodized commercial cookware. I keep lusting
after them but bought a pavillion this year instead of
the pan set with the tax refund. Maybe next year.
Helewyse