[Sca-cooks] Rice, was table service in Spanish Islamic and Jewish cultures?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 23 17:28:49 PDT 2003

Jadwiga wrote:
>  Hm.. does that mean that I should definitely plan Rice in my moorish
>  course for the Spanish feast?

I wouldn't say *definitely*, but rice was grown in Spain during the
Muslim period, especially around Valencia. So, rice *could* be
served, since it was definitely available.

Valencia was "reconquered" in 1238. Eventually, according to a web
site i found, "between the 14th and 18th centuries... [g]rowing rice
was banned [in the Valencia region]..., in order to prevent
mosquitoes that spread malaria from laying eggs in rice paddies."
Furthermore, apparently Valencia claims to have invented paella, but,
again, "sources say" not until quite some time after the Reconquista
(with undocumented dates being 100 years after to a couple hundred
years ago).

Anahita