[Sca-cooks] Chocolate Drink for Gunther

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Sep 26 16:22:20 PDT 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Greetings.  There is a woman in the Midrealm, Jennifer Edwards-Ring,
> who has been researching Aztec foods.  Here is part of an article
> that she wrote:
>
> " To attempt to duplicate this drink, I used Hershey's unsweetened
> powdered cocoa. To this I added cinnamon and nutmeg. This was to
> duplicate the taste of xochinacztli, the flower of Cymbopetalum
> penduliflorum.  According to the Badianu Codex, cinnamon replaced
> this in modern Mexican chocolate, but it tasted more like nutmeg.  I
> added honey and vanilla to the water used. This was the only way to
> make it drinkable. Without the honey, it was too bitter. I am
> assuming chocolatl was an aquired taste, similar to coffee. I am
> using a modern electric blender to produce the foam because it is
> easier than hand whisking. It is interesting to note that a captured
> woman could be saved from death and could even marry a nobleman if
> she had a light hand beating cocoa.   Hand whisking takes more skill
> than I posses. Aztec women had years to perfect it.
>
> Chocolatl
>
>  Chocolate drink
> 1 c lukewarm water
> 1/4 c cocoa
> 2 tbs honey
> 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
>
> Mix together and beat for several seconds in an electric blender or
> by hand. Serve in small cups. (The honey and vanilla can be omitted
> and chili powder can be added.)"
>
> I had it served to me one memorable year by an Aztec knight, clad
> only in a loincloth.  Delicious! ...Er, the *beverage* was
> delicious!
>
> Alys Katharine, remembering

Sounds like it might be tasty, but probably not period. Keep in mind, that
the European Honey Bee arrived from Europe- until it and sugar cane arrived,
there was very little available to be used for sweetening in the New World.
Some ants and certain wasps made a honey, but it apparently didn't travel
well, and was limited to the areas where these insects could be found. Also,
aren't both cinnamon/cassia and nutmeg old World? Yeah, most of us know
this, but I'd hate to see another modern recipe grandfathered in because
Alys mentioned it, without saying whether it was period or not ;-)

In the meantime, does anyone have a recipe for the chocolatl made with hot
peppers?

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.