[Sca-cooks] Online facsimiles (mostly in Spanish)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 27 23:20:17 PDT 2003

Someone on the Medieval Spain list shared some links to online sources of
historic documents.  One of these is the BIBLIOTECA VIRTUAL
DIOSCORIDES, which comtains hundreds of facsimile documents, mostly in
Spanish, though there are a handful in other languages. They are pre-1900
books related to medicine and health, but there are quite a few of interest to
us cooks.  In Spanish, there are herbals and pharmaceutical manuals,
there's a facsimile of Alonso de Hererra's 1513 agricultural manual, and a
1572 health manual, which I think is about to become my new translation
project.

For the Italophiles, there's a facsimile of Scappi's Opera

http://cisne.sim.ucm.es/search*spi/g?SEARCH=DIOSCORIDES

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net