[Sca-cooks] baking soda vs. baking powder

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 3 22:48:24 PDT 2003

Bear replied to me with:
> Double action baking powder (most modern bp's are) aerates first while
> the
> batter is being mixed then again at around 140 degrees F.  Single
> action
> baking powder and baking soda only aerate during the mixing.  The
> second
> aeration makes the cookie lighter.
Yes, I remember discussions on these before. However Maire said that
the ones with the wrong leavening rose as much as those done using the
regular powder. So if either one is making the cookie(?) rise the same,
why don't they taste the same? I can see where they might not rise the
same, but would that make them inedible? Maire, am I mis-interpreting
your statements?
> > Maire commented:
> >> The very first time I ever did a recipe "all by myself" (okay, so I
> >> was
> >> seven) was snickerdoodles.  I put the wrong leavening in (can't
> >> remember
> >> if it was baking soda instead of baking powder or t'other way
> around).
> >> They were perfectly shaped, perfectly baked, and perfectly inedible.
> >> <g>
> > Okay you food chemists out there, *why* would one of these work in
> this
> > recipe but the other wouldn't and yet both seemed to give the same
> rise
> > to this food. Maybe this depends upon what "snickerdoodles" are?
> > Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com