[Sca-cooks] Angel's Food

BaronessaIlaria at aol.com BaronessaIlaria at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 09:12:08 PDT 2003

In a message dated 9/4/2003 12:04:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
selene at earthlink.net writes:

> I'm looking for the period citation for the sweet called "Angel's Food,"
> the one with sweetened ricotta cheese.

It's from Sent Sovi. "Menyar D'Angels" or Angel's Food.
"If you want to eat the fresh curds, put the curds in the mortar and pound
with some good white sugar. And when pounded together, blend in some rosewater
or orange flower water, and put it in bowls or dishes or whatever you like, and
 serve it at table. And if you don't wish to use the sugar, add some good
honey. And you can do the same with fresh cheese, which is better, and it is
called angel's food."

The above is from Santich's The Original Mediterranean Cuisine.

Ilaria