[Sca-cooks] Mongol Feast Questions

adamantius at verizon.net adamantius at verizon.net
Fri Sep 5 05:49:53 PDT 2003

> From: "Michael Gunter" <countgunthar at hotmail.com>
> Date: 2003/09/05 Fri AM 01:55:49 CDT
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Mongol Feast Questions

> Everyone is familiar with kumiss or kwass, fermented milk.

You thinking of kefir? Or is kwass as a milk product some ancestor (or cousin)
of the Russian kvass, which is basically an unhopped small beer?

> But they also
> drank
> defatted milk (sort of like a skim milk)

Often dried, and either eaten in various forms or reconstituted. Skimming off
the fat reduced the likelihood of rancidity, I suspect, while I'm sure the fat
was used for other dietary purposes.

> recall a type of pasta that was dried in large cubes and grated into boilng
> liquid. Master A knows more about this.

This seems to be a pretty generic Central Asian thing, and it survives today in
Hungary (presumably from the Magyars), in Greece (possibly from the Turks), and
in Turkey. In all these places, the noodle in question is known as tarhanya, or
some close variant on that name. It is probably also an ancestor of spaetzeln,
although there's a difference there, in that spaetzeln are grated, extruded or
dropped into the boiling liquid, while tarhanya are made from a really firm
dough, which is then grated onto a sheet of cloth, and dried. It is then
dropped into the boiling soup or stew. I suppose it would be possible to keep a
lump of dough wrapped up and grate it as needed, though.

> Some of the meat dishes included a hide kept whole and the meat chopped up.
> Then the meat was placed back into the hide with the hide sewn up and a
> large tube fitted in. A pit was dug and a fire lit. Once the coals had
> burned down
> or rocks were added to stay hot the hide was placed into the pit and covered
> with
> the pipe left sticking out. As the meat cooked the juices and icky fats and
> such
> would bubble out of the pipe. When the pipe bubbled clean, the meat was
> dug up and enjoyed.

My brother-in-law was in Outer Mongolia a few years ago, and brought back some
video footage of tribal guides barbecueing (for lack of a better term) a goat
in a milk can, using hot rocks placed inside the can with the meat and
seasonings (a favorite being whatever freeze-dried soup or sauce mix your
Western guest brings along as camp food). You then seal the can and kick it
around for an hour or two, play football with it, etc. You then eat your meal,
accompanied, for choice, with Russian vodka, dirty songs, and a game involving
passing around the hot rocks (which, with enough vodka, can still be glowing
from the center, but cool enough to handle briefly, if I remember correctly).

I have no idea how old this particular form of barbecueing is, but I think I
now may be able to capture this video as a digital file. I'd like to check with
my brother-in-law first, though.

Adamantius