[Sca-cooks] Re: Pie Crusts

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Sep 7 00:42:22 PDT 2003

Samrah commented:
> My teacher's aide, who worked as a pastry chef
> during the summer break, said until the shortening is walnut sized. His
> pie crusts were flakier. My mothers were tougher, errr, more period,
> although I understand period pie crusts were hard as bricks to replace
> the pan!
I believe the comments a while back on this list were that the period
pie crusts used to back meats or fruits often had no fat added at all.
If you aren't overwhelmed by the list of files I listed in my last
message to you, perhaps these Florilegium files might be of interest.
In the FOOD section:
pies-msg          (57K)  7/26/02    Period pie crusts, meat and fruit
pies.
In the FOOD-FRUITS section:
fruit-pies-msg    (45K)  1/ 5/01    Period fruit pies. Recipes. Baking
pies.
In the FOOD-MEATS section:
meat-pies-msg    (130K)  5/ 7/01    Period meat pies. Recipes.
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
custards-msg      (17K) 12/20/00    Period custards, custard tarts and
pies.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas