Pie Crusts was Re: [Sca-cooks] Cookies was hello there

Jeanne jeanne at atasteofcreole.com
Sun Sep 7 06:50:16 PDT 2003

Will you be at practice today?

Soffya
http://www.aeonline.biz/Links.htm
three fleur-de-lys Or

-----Original Message-----
From: sca-cooks-bounces at ansteorra.org
[mailto:sca-cooks-bounces at ansteorra.org]On Behalf Of Avraham haRofeh of
Sudentur
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2003 6:50 AM
To: Cooks within the SCA
Subject: Re: Pie Crusts was Re: [Sca-cooks] Cookies was hello there

> Samrah [or anyone else for that matter]:  I have never managed to learn
> the Dao of Pie Crusts, which is more of an art than a mere craft.  Could
> you teach me?

1. Keep everything COLD COLD COLD.
2. Use your food processor to work in the butter/shortening/lard - use
1-second pulses, until the chunks of fat are the size of peas.
3. Use iced water. Use the MINIMUM amount of water necessary to bring the
mass together - more water = more gluten, which is tough.
4. Do NOT overwork the dough. It's better to leave some flour behind than to
overwork the dough.
5. Use a light hand when dusting the counter to roll out the dough.
6. Use a French rolling pin, it gives you more control.
7. When it's the right size, dust the top of the dough LIGHTLY, then roll it
onto your pin to carry it to the pie plate. Brush the excess flour away with
a pastry brush/paint brush once it's in the pan.

Hope these tips help.

Avraham

Reb Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: I didn't believe in reincarnation the last time, either.

---