[Sca-cooks] Fw: [Trimariscookslist] Asking a favor of Phlip

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 7 21:11:17 PDT 2003

What you want for a reference is Richard Hakluyt's Principle Navigations,
Voyages and Discoveries of the English Nation (1589).  Pay particular
attention to the writings of Drake and Hawkins, where sweet potatoes and
maize appear.  There is a paperback abridgement under a different name from
Penguin and Volume 10 of the Harvard Classics also reprints some of the more
useful writings.

I'm curious about the documentation for rice in the Caribbean.  It was
definitely being grown for export in the Carolinas in the 17th and 18th
Centuries and I was thinking the original introduction of rice to the
Caribbean was on Columbus's second voyage, which should be covered by Peter
Martyr.

Bear