[Sca-cooks] Lovage vs Angelica??

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Sep 8 06:25:22 PDT 2003

> Greetings.  In an article about lovage, the editor equates it with
> angelica and writes "Remember, angelica is lovage."  The dictionary
> says that lovage is an apiaceous herb, "Levisticum officinale" and
> that angelica is an umbelliferous plant of the genus  Angelica, esp.
> A. Archangelica".  Therefore, these two can't be the same, can they?
> Do the two look alike?  Taste alike?

Um. They are both tall plants with hollow stalks that produce seeds that
are often candied... but lovage looks like celery tops on steriods and
angelica looks more like buff fennel or dill :)

I don't know where the author got this impression...

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I'm sorry, the antichrist you have dialed is no longer in service.
Please check your list of enemies and dial again."