[Sca-cooks] Collecting Yeast from Birch Trees

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Sep 9 17:08:16 PDT 2003

I seem to remember that this question came up before. The early birch
wine recipes
(used Cindy's book to start) all seem to add yeast to the sap. Nothing
is said about yeast coming off a birch tree there. I don't find it
listed in E. David's English Bread and Yeast Cookery in the full rundown
she has on yeast. Maybe they meant that sometimes the sap ferments on
its own without the addition of yeast. Sap might do that, although what
you end up with is ???

I did an involved Google search and turned this up---
A Handbook of Anglo-Saxon Food & Drink:
Processing and Consumption and Production & Distribution
one review mentions this--

  One of my favorite bits: the Saxons would dip birch twigs in liquid
yeast, hang dry, and store it that way -- their equivalent of today's
modern yeast packets.

Might this be the source?

Johnnae llyn Lewis