[Sca-cooks] period smoke houses?

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Wed Sep 10 07:20:56 PDT 2003

>Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>>What do we know about period smoke houses? Do we have any still existing
>>ones? Or diagrams, pictures or illuminations? Do we have any written
>>information on them that might, for instance, tell us which woods they
>>used or preferred to use?
>
>But we know they did it: there are both Roman and 17th-century recipes
>that call for hanging foods up to smoke in the kitchen fire or chimney. It
>may be that the smoke is incidental, and that the warm, dry, updraft is
>the aspect of the process these cooks were going for.
>
>I think, for what you're looking for, we would need a period book on pig
>farming for a really detailed description.
>
>Adamantius

A review just appeared today on the BMR listserve of Peter Fowler, Farming
in the First Millennium AD: British Agriculture between Julius Caesar and
William the Conquerer.  Cambridge:  Cambridge University Press, 2002.  Pp.
412.  ISBN 0-521-89056-X.  $38.00.  It mentions "Agriculture includes not
only crop farming but also animal husbandry and associated activities on
the landscape (such as herb production). Despite the title, there is less
about actual methods and processes of production and more concentration on
an overview of country life throughout the examined timeframe. While
landscape organization and exploitation, such as what field systems looked
like in the Roman period, dominates, there are briefer explorations of
social issues, such as belief and conservatism in the countryside, that
enrich the book. Judicious use of textual evidence in certain instances
permits insight into the working and living conditions of those on the land
across the millennium."

The review is a bit long to post here, but is available at the BMCR website
(http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/), or I could mail it to anyone who is
interested.

Sandra