[Sca-cooks] period smoke houses?

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 10 10:10:57 PDT 2003

Decker, Terry D. wrote:
> Taking a quick look at some of the online references to smoking meat,
> I think that no one has taken a serious look at the subject of when,
> where and how meat was smoked between the late Roman Empire and the
> Early Modern Periods.  What do we know about the subject?  What are
> the references?

I'm starting work on a Beowulf-themed feast, and I've found at least one
reconstructed Viking-era smokehouse:

http://www.foteviken.se/engelsk/art_english/e_viking_art17e.htm

A few other non-primary sources (the primaries they reference are in Swedish
and Norwegian) seem to agree that this design is correct for early period
Northern Europe.

-Lorenz