[Sca-cooks] turkey roasters

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 11 12:16:06 PDT 2003

I'm a converted member of the brine, high heat first, low heat second, probe
thermometer camp.  Works every time.  I tend to use a very low heat for the
low temp portion of the roasting (250-275), so I often cover the breast with
aluminum foil to retard the white meat so it finishes at the same time as
the dark meat.

I also like the older Julia Child method of butterflying the bird and
re-assembling it, but that's more work and not nearly as nice a presentation
as the method above.

The main cause of dry meat is not liquid distribution, it's temperature.
You can baste, inject, wick, etc. ad nauseum, but if the white meat goes
over 170 degrees, you've got drywall, not poultry.

-Lorenz