[Sca-cooks] Mail server problems??? OT/OOP

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Thu Sep 11 17:57:38 PDT 2003

Heleen Greenwald wrote:

> I am getting some mail demon failure notices. Some of the
> virus was sobig. But my son updated Norton 2 weeks ago
> especially to capture or eliminate that virus.

Good.

I hope that each and every one of us does the same.

Please keep in mind that the author(s) of sobig, klez, ...
are sneaky induhviduals ... sneakier even than one of us
when planning a "gotcha award".  The virus does not have to
be on your PC to make it look like you are transmitting the
virus.  ... a "false implication" like leaving someone else's
business card at a crime scene.

On the infected PC, it uses eMail addresses that it finds
there as both "To:" addresses and "From:" addresses when
propagating. ... or would that be reproducing ... or spawning?

That is intended to disguise the identity of the PC that is
actually infected.

> My computer is running fine.
> Phillipa

Something is trying to teach you GeekSpeak, Olwen.  Please
relax and enjoy the attention.  <g>

>   > Anybody else getting these??  I had like 20 of them in
>   > my junk mail box this morning.  One or two will pop up
>   > every time I mail something out.
>
>   Not recently, although a couple of weeks ago, somebody on
>   SCA Cooks (had both my address and Robin Caroll-Mann's
>   address, and this is the only list we're both on) got that
>   Sobig virus.  And then I got a whole bunch of them.  I was
>   not personally infected, but the virus was using our addys
>   to send copies of itself to other addresses, and when
>   those bounced, I got error messages.
>
>   Make sure you're not infected, and the nuisance will
>   eventually go away.....

Only if everyone has appropriate antivirus protection.

>   --maire

I am,
Lord Vincenzo Martino Mazza,
In Service to the Dream
--
Martin G. Diehl

Reality -- That which remains after you stop thinking
about it.