[Sca-cooks] period smoke houses?

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Fri Sep 12 15:37:01 PDT 2003

At 10:54 PM 9/10/2003 -0500, Stefan wrote:
>I thought some of the fish was smoked. Or was this just dried? . . .

According to Janet Hinson's translation of _Le Menagier de Paris_, salmon
should be smoked; (p. M-28) James Prescott's translation of the very
similar entry for salmon in _le Viandier_ agrees about smoking, though the
next phrase seems to disagree with Hinson's translation (30). _Le Menagier_
also says that pork sausage should be smoked for four days or more. (M-44)
This is from the odds and ends that I just reread today; I don't know if
there might be other foods in these books that were also supposed to be smoked.

(The phrase after the bit about smoking is "and leave the backbone in for
roasting" in Hinson's _Menagier_ and "keep the chine for roasting" in
Prescott's _Viandier_.)

Hinson, Janet (translator). _Le Menagier de Paris_. Part of _A Collection
of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks_. Cariadoc, 1988.

Prescott, James (translator). _le Viandier de Taillevent_. Alfarhaugr, 1988.

Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark