[Sca-cooks] When to Pick Quince?

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Sep 12 19:55:42 PDT 2003

>I live about 20 miles from a grove of quince trees. A small private museum
>planted them years ago to see if they would grow in the area. I know
>the people
>who run it and they do nothing with the fruit. I want to go and pick it when
>it is ripe, but when is that??? I am in the Mojave Desert, if that affects
>ripening time. My pomegranates are never ripe until the end of Oct,
>beginning of
>Nov.
>Visions of quince jelly and quince tarts dance through my head!
>Peldyn

Our quinces (SF bay area) are getting close to ripe now. Look for
yellow rather than green color and a smell that I like to describe as
"smelling more like apples than apples do."

I assume, by the way, that these are the European quince, not
Japonica (Japanese Quince), which is grown as an ornamental.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/