[Sca-cooks] Seasonal Produce

Ariane H phoenissa at netscape.net
Sun Sep 14 16:18:32 PDT 2003

I've never heard of fresh dates being cooked before, in either modern or
historical contexts...they're excellent for eating on their own, but
every cooked date I've seen was cooked from a dried state.  Fresh dates
are sweet, but have a slightly astringent quality, if that's the word?
Your mouth feels a little dry after eating them, kind of the same thing
that happens with raw quince but much less pronounced.  They're yummy,
though.

If you're willing to experiment, you could try doing something with the
fresh dates...maybe just simmer them with a bit of water and sugar and
see what happens?

As for currants...I've never seen white ones, but red ones are good raw,
and make fantastic jelly or jam, and have a myriad of uses when dried.
I don't know how white currants taste as opposed to red or black
(sweeter? more sour?), but I bet you could substitute them, fresh or
dried, in any recipe that calls for either of the more familiar varieties.

In any case, sounds like a great find!  Might be worth buying the fruits
just for eating on their own.  I live across the street from a farmer's
market, which I love - but it's quite small and they don't have anything
nearly so exotic.

Vittoria