[Sca-cooks] Redaction? (was: Looking for a period cheese filled pasta/lassagna dish served cold (long))

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Tue Sep 16 14:33:01 PDT 2003

At 05:35 AM 9/16/2003 -0700, Helewyse de Birkestad wrote:
>. . .  So it may be that the dish in question
>was just a sweet redaction of a savory dish, served
>cold instead of hot.

That's what I'm talking about. This sentence could be translated into
English by replacing "redaction" with either "adaptation" or
"interpretation". Either way it would then convey the apparently-intended
meaning. Untranslated, it is not only incorrect but ridiculous. The only
reason why many of us don't mind is because we've become so desensitized to
our bizarre in-group usage that it feels normal to us. Otherwise we might
notice that our "redaction" is yet another piece of trash cluttering up an
overly complicated and messy language.

One could say that this is a trivial issue. Well, so are all the other
in-group buzzwords that make the English language less useful and less
accessible. But when you add them together, and then consider that English
must be the most common second language in the world, it amounts to a very
serious problem. This problem can only be alleviated by individual people
taking more responsibility for the clarity of the language as they use it.
Why can't we do that?

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon

"Redaction" esse delendam. >:->