[Sca-cooks] Redaction? (was: Looking for a period cheese filled pasta/lassagna dish served cold (long))

Linda Peterson mirhaxa at morktorn.com
Tue Sep 16 15:27:19 PDT 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
> Also sprach Alex Clark:
> >That's what I'm talking about. This sentence could be translated
> >into English by replacing "redaction" with either "adaptation" or
> >"interpretation". Either way it would then convey the
> >apparently-intended meaning. Untranslated, it is not only incorrect

> >One could say that this is a trivial issue. Well, so are all the
> >other in-group buzzwords that make the English language less useful
> >and less accessible. But when you add them together, and then

In-group buzz words make English more precise and useful for the in-group
using them. I think we resist both adaptation and interpretation as they
have conotations of a broader leeway or artistic license than we are
trying to encourage in the making of SCA food.

> Since we've had this discussion before, I might as well toss my two
> cents in again. I don't like it either. To me, its usage is
> pretentious and unnecessary, especially when there are other words
> whose accepted definitions in English are much closer to what we mean
> when SCAdians use that word than that word itself. It's just
> somebody's (actually, I know whose) silly idea of exclusivist jargon.

What are your preferred terms, Adamantius?

Mirhaxa
  mirhaxa at morktorn.com