[Sca-cooks] period smoke houses?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 17 21:43:58 PDT 2003

Bear commented:
> > Then how do you account for the viking smokehouses?
> > Olwen
>
> During the summer, sub-arctic regions have more insect life than a
> Mississippi swamp.  I've been both places and will attest to the fact.
>
> If you smoke meat other than summer, then you need some kind of
> structure to
> retain the heat.  The colder the weather, the faster the heat
> dissipates.
But if you are only smoking the meat and not drying it, why do you need
to retain the heat? I can see where you probably need something to
retain the smoke, though. Or is it always a process of either drying
and smoking the meat or drying it only but never smoking it only?
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com