[Sca-cooks] period smoke houses?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 18 18:10:43 PDT 2003

I'm trusting the USDA and a couple of other sources for the temperatures.  I
haven't had an opportunity to run any tests with thermal probes to see if
they know what they are talking about.  I also haven't checked to see if
there is an accurate description of how Smithfield hams are prepared.  It
may be the speed with which the meat reaches 160 degrees has something to do
with the texture.

As I understand the process, prosciutto isn't just air dried.  The major
veins in the ham are opened and it is massaged to remove all of the blood.
Then it is packed in salt for several weeks, which dehydrates the meat and
forms a crust (where have I heard that before).  The ham is then loaded into
a drying cabinet for an extended period to continue air drying.

Bear

>Also sprach Decker, Terry D.:
>>I've never encountered an operating smoke house that was anywhere near 55
>>degrees.
>>
>>Smoke houses are designed for "cold smoking."  The temperature of the heat
>>source is normally around 180-200 degrees F and the meat is left to smoke
>>until it reaches an internal termperature of around 160 degrees F.  The
>>smoke coats the meat rather than is absorbed by the meat.  Heat kills the
>>bacteria, cooks and dehydrates the meat (especially the outer layer).
Smoke