[Sca-cooks] Re: smoking meat

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 18 19:04:06 PDT 2003

Hey, Stefan, do you have any tech data on the smoking point of wood?

It just occurred to me that in a stove wood doesn't start to burn until it
is over 212 degrees F and that it begins emitting smoke about 300 degrees F.
Oxidation is somewhere around 500 degrees F, IIRC.

That means that the source of the smoke in a smoke house needs to be close
to 300 degrees F and that over time it will attempt to raise the temperature
of its surroundings to that level.  Hmmm, I need a smokehouse and a bunch of
thermocouples for a little research into "Thermal Efficiencies of
Carbonaceous Vapor Dehydration Structures."

Bear