[Sca-cooks] Re: smoking meat

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 20 06:01:26 PDT 2003

Heat is integral to the process if for no other reason than it provides the
energy to make and move the smoke if we can believe Boyle's Law (IIRC).  I
have yet to find any actual measurement of the temperature differentials
over time, which makes all the "facts" suspect.

The smokehouses I am familiar with are all single chamber whether cold of
hot smokers.  I have encountered advertisements for cold smoking gadgets
which use seperate chambers and cool down.

In the case of pre-refrigeration smokehouses, as I recall, they were
windowless single room shack with a firepit on the floor and hooks for
hanging meat suspended from the rafters.  It was a situation where the
surface temperature of the meat would likely be a function of the inverse
square distance from the average source temperature.

My physics handbook went walkabout a few years ago and I thought you might
be the other person on the list who might have the basic combustion and
thermal information on their bookshelf.

Bear