[Sca-cooks] Questions in prep for a spanish feast

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 20 21:36:22 PDT 2003

>Third, I know people refer to a certain period islamic recipe as being a
>sort of ancestor of baklava. Can anyone point me to this recipe? I know
>it's in part of the 100s of pages I've been searching through and probably
>in the Florilegium but I'm getting overwhelmed.

There's also Lauzinaj, almonds ground with sugar wrapped in a light
pastry in the Book of the Description of Familiar Foods, al-Kitab
Wasf al-At'ima al-Mu'tada, dated 1373, complete text translated and
introduced by Charles Perry in "Medieval Arab Cookery".

I have his English translation and my recipe on my website:
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/persianchef.html

My version was simplified, as i was Iron Chef Persian at a time when
i was homeless. Since i didn't have a kitchen to experiment with
dough wrappers, i made it with marzipan and phyllo. Perhaps it would
be more historical with a less finely ground almond mixture. While i
think that the dough was not phyllo, i am encouraged by the
description of the dough as being as gossamer as grasshoppers' wings
to use it as an acceptable substitute until i can make further
experiments.

Anahita