[Sca-cooks] A camel recipe from Charles Perry

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Sep 21 06:41:50 PDT 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Would the hump be fattier or something? I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly,
> some sort of difference in texture?
> If one wanted to adapt the recipe to non-camel ingredients (they're
> kinda scarce here in Montana/Artemisia), what would be the best
> substitute for the hump part?
> --maire, curious.....

I'm not sure- I've never butchered one. I suspect that it would find an
equivalent in buffalo hump, being a similar construction which isn't active
muscle. I suspect it might be a tender and fatty piece- sort of like a
well-marbled tenderloin- but you'd have to ask someone who knows. I have no
way of telling whether the mystique applied to the humps of animals which
have them is anecdotal, or because there's something intrinsicly special
about the meat itself. I tend towards the latter belief, simply because the
Native Americans and the Arabs who use these two cuts as special cuts would
tend to have no shared anecdotal mystique.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.