[Sca-cooks] Redaction - a little anthropology

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Mon Sep 22 13:36:27 PDT 2003

At 12:32 AM 9/22/2003 -0700, Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt wrote:
>Interpretation for me, since I come from a anthropological background,
>deals heavily with _meaning_, but it is a close cousin to translation
>(notice the use of  both 'translators' and 'interpreters' for the United
>Nations, and for ASL during speeches and plays).

Another sense, more used in the performing arts, is performance from
written instructions, such as a script or a score, with some reference to
what is added by the performer, that was not specified in the original
source (this can also include performance from memory in one's own style).
Two other commonly used senses of interpret, from Merriam-Webster (
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary ), are:

1 : to explain or tell the meaning of : present in understandable terms
2 : to conceive in the light of individual belief, judgment, or
circumstance :
<http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=construe>CONSTRUE

With this, I hope that I have posted directly to the list about as much as
I could find useful (given that others have also posted some definitions)
about the meanings of the words in question, and I don't want to get back
into repeating, hairsplitting, or discussion of methods of argumentation.
So, given current circumstances, I'm now leaving this group of threads.

Alex Clark