[Sca-cooks] RE: Ras el Haout

Naquiba Katira al-Maghrebiyya cynaguanswan at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 12:27:25 PDT 2003

Yes, it means something like "head of the shop" and
indeed every spice shop has it's own blend.  A couple
of my spice books have recipes as do some of Paula
Wolfert's cookbooks and they are all different.  So, I
suggest you go with the common ingredients and
add/subtract increase/decrease as your own tastes
direct you.  Then you are "head" of your OWN shop!!

I haven't done so myself yet, but I do have dried rose
buds and some of the other more esoteric items (not
the illegal ones like spanish fly (an aphrodisiac)) so
I can try an known combination and they play from
there.  I know I have particular tastes when it comes
to curry powders so I will probably tend to work
around those ingredients.

Katira

--- Christine Seelye-King <kingstaste at mindspring.com>