[Sca-cooks] The mystery soap ingredient in context

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Sep 25 08:26:30 PDT 2003

The original English translation of this recipe from the 1558 edition of
Alessio gives this recipe slightly differently:

Take Aluminis catini is what the earlier edition says.

later on it specifies "floure of Amylum, and an unce of Romayne
Vitrioll, or redde leade well beaten into poulder..."

  From "The Second Booke of Secretes" Fol. 54

You might survey some other editions and check to see if the ingredients
change or spellings differ.

See my recent TI article for more on Alessio. This edition is available
is a facsimile reprint.
The Secretes of the Reuerende Mayster Alexis of Piemount. London. STC
(2nd ed.) / 295. Facsimile by Walter J. Johnson, Inc. of Norwood, New
Jersey and Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, Ltd. of Amsterdam. 1975. ISBN: 90
221 0707 8.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Sharon Gordon wrote: snipped