[Sca-cooks] OT: Quick question about canning

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 15:37:01 PDT 2003

Serena,

I understand where you and the USDA are coming
from.  When someone doesn't understand the
process, things can go wrong.  But at the same
time, I have seen people can food wrong also.
Home canning is something that requires skill
and knowledge to do right.  When it isn't done
correctly it can be more deadly than using
parafin on jams.

When I make jams and butters, I sterilize the jar
thoroughly.  Until recently, I would boil the
jars in my canner.  Lately, I have been running
them through the hottest cycle in my dishwasher.
When the jam is ready, I immediately take it off
the fire and start ladling it into a still hot
jar.
When that jar is full, I take the parafin off the
fire and pour it into the top of the jam.  The
wax must be a minimum of 3/8" thick.  The liquid
parafin creates an airtight seal on the surface
of the still hot jam. Only then is the jam
allowed to cool.  I then start the next jar. I
also cover the jars with a lid or with seranwrap
and a metal jar ring, to keep dust, etc. off the
wax.

The wax usually remains tight for one year.
Beyond that it will start to unseal, which is
probably the why of the warning.  However, a
couple of years ago, I found a jar of jam that
was about 5 years old, that had been pushed to
the back of the pantry.  When I took off the lid,
the wax had shrunk so much that I could easily
remove the wax.  The lid had protected the jam.
There was no mold to be seen.  I still discarded
it because the sugar had crystalized.

I have seen mold on some home canned fruit that
had been given to me by a friend.  The jar had
been sealed, but obviously not properly.

I have also seen mold on home cooked frozen
fruit.
This was in another friend's freezer.  Mold
happens.  It can happen anywhere.  It is
disgusting, but a fact of life. I usually make a
disgusted face and throw the food out.

Huette

http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/usda/2SelectingPreparing&CanningFruit&FruitProducts/AppleButter.pdf

> I hope that this might be helpful. Again I am
> not contradicting the good
> gentles who use different techniques out of
> malicious intent or with the
> belief that I am Right and they are Wrong. It
> is just what I have found on
> my own.
>
> Glad Tidings,
> Serena da Riva
>
> > I would like to try my hand at making some
> apple butter and canning it.
> >
> > I was wondering if I actually need to go out
> and buy a canner, or if I can
> just use one of the pots I already have? I know
> that the rack would make it
> easier to remove the jars, but I also dont have
> much disposable cash at the
> moment, and if I can just use what I have that
> would be great.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ilia

=====