[Sca-cooks] Royal authenticity

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 26 11:51:01 PDT 2003

david friedman wrote:

>> I often serve various sekanjabins as well (mint, thyme and rosemary
>> are most
>> popular). We know they weren't beverages as such in period, but at least
>> they ARE period recipies.
>

> In what sense do we know they weren't beverages in period? There are
> references to medical effects, but that's true of lots of food and
> drink in period. Sekanjabin  is a beverage in modern Persian cuisine,
> and I can't think of any period references implying that it wasn't.

Lack of evidence is not the same as evidence of lack, after all!
 However, sekanjabin syrup has other uses in modern times, served as a
dip or dressing for cucumbers or lettuce.  For that matter, I served
some mild sekanjabin syrup with fresh strawberries early this summer and
it went over very well with my normally culinarily un-adventurous family.

Selene Colfox