[Sca-cooks] Beverages, was Royal authenticity

UlfR parlei at algonet.se
Sun Sep 28 21:05:53 PDT 2003

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> [2003.09.29] wrote:

> Period sources considered running water safer than standing water. If the
> water table was contaminated (by nearby garderobes), well water would of
> course include the contaminants... but without extensive research I can't
> tell you if it would be MORE contaminated than running water or not.

I've seen -- in a museum -- a viking age well[1]. Imagine a conical
hole, with siding made from split oak logs (well was 240 cm deep, top
diameter 350 cm, bottom diameter 80 cm). Now imagine cattle, goats,
chickens, horses, dogs and cats running around in the same area as the
well. Give me the stream any day...

UlfR

[1] From Vorbasse, Denmark. Dendrochronology gives the build date to
734. Else Roesdahl, "Från Vikingar till Korsfarare", 1992, ISBN
91-85276-63-4, p248.

UlfR Ketilson                             ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Graduate life: It's not just a job.  It's an indenture.