[Sca-cooks] Re: Small beer, was period beverages

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Mon Sep 29 10:03:32 PDT 2003

> *** Hi, I've only been brewing since I've been in the SCA
> (about 4 years).  This year I made a proper medieval beer
> from grain, following the instruction in "A Sip Thru Time".
> After putting water through the grain the first time,
> steeping it, etc... you set it aside to brew (it is fairly
> alcoholic -- about 10%)..
>
> Then you put fresh water, the same amount of water, through
> the grain again, and you get a much weaker brew (about "light
> beer" strength)...  so 2 or 3% alcohol...something like that.
>  -- I have to confess I didn't use the hydrometer, so I don't
> know exactly.  (I didn't have enough for the hydrometer to be
> able to float).
>
> This weaker (second) brew is called small beer.

I cheat a little. I combine "Near Beer" and Jamaican Ginger Beer
together to produce a palatable "small beer" wannabe. There's nothing
quite as bracing at camping events as a cold goblet of this first thing
in the morning along with some cooked steel-cut oats and cheese. Kinda
wakes your face up. Of course this must be followed by coffee rather
quickly to wake the rest of you up.

I have not made actual small beer before but suspect it is similar to
the "near beer" sold in supermarkets today (although through a different
process no doubt). Which is why I use that in my cheat" other than
normal beer. Does anyone know if this is a suitable substitute?

I have served this before for lunch as well as pomegranate lemonade.
Both have been well received...especially by those of us that cant stand
Sekanjabin! They both also make nice alternatives to water at feast.

Micaylah